Job Title: Senior Technical Architect
Permanent/ Contract: Contract
Duration: 2-3 months+
Tech Stack: C#, .NET, Java, SQL, Azure
Day Rate: £500 - £600
Inside or outside IR35: Outside
Methods are currently seeking to engage a skilled Senior Technical Architect to join our client on a contractor basis in the Midlands. This will be considered a remote position due to current coronavirus conditions, however, applicants should be willing to attend onsite in Leicester when required on an ad-hoc basis.
Since our establishment in 1990, Methods has partnered with a range of central government departments and agencies to transform the way the public sector operates in the UK. Our mission is to help safeguard public-facing services and apply digital thinking to make sure the future of our public services is centered around our citizens.
At Methods we believe in working with a human touch which sets us apart from other consultancies, system integrators, and software houses. We do not focus solely on profits or targets; we have a customer-centric value system and focus on doing what is right for our clients.
As a senior technical architect, you will be involved in projects during all parts of the lifecycle from initial reports or proposals (including marketing) through to the design and delivery, you'll be responsible for defining the overall structure of a program or system. You may also need to step in to resolve problems on projects that are struggling or have lost direction.
As a key person in the project structure your responsibilities will encompass both technical areas and non-technical such as stakeholder management, client expectation management, line management, etc. You may have to act as project manager, overseeing IT assignments that are aimed at improving the business, and ensuring all parts of the project run smoothly.
Because you'll be working from start to finish on each project, it's essential to understand all aspects of each system, from both a business and technical point of view.
The Senior Technical Architect will be:
• You will define and own the delivery of architectural artifacts on a portfolio of client projects, including technology roadmaps, vision statements, applying policies to high-level solution designs (HLSD), low-level designs (LLD), estimations (cost and time) and solution options reports (SOR), across multiple views (conceptual, logical, physical, process etc).
• You can evolve and define the governance landscape within a project, client and internal environment obtaining both technical and business approval at the appropriate stage to support delivery of the outcome.
• You can collaborate with senior stakeholders, delivery managers, service designers, user researchers and software engineers in order to design public-facing services aligned to government digital standards, and wider industry open standards and best-practices.
• You will define and promote opportunities to reuse components and common service patterns, understanding the patterns and interactions on a larger scale across portfolios, programmes, and wider government context and how it will impact our portfolio of work.
• You will promote technology and vendor agnosticism, but make evidence-based decisions when required and thereafter explain those decisions to all levels of both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
• You can make decisions characterised by managed levels of risk and complexity. You can recommend decisions as risk and complexity increase. You can resolve technical disputes between wider peers and indirect stakeholders, taking into account all views and opinions.
• Build strong working relationships with individuals within our customer organisations, building trust.
• Carry out technical knowledge transfer outcomes (e.g. handover to clients, mentoring client staff).
Ideal candidates will demonstrate:
• Experience as a Senior Technical Architect or Enterprise Architect with the government or public sector environment, having delivered through the full DbDSS lifecycle (Discovery, Alpha, Beta, Live)
• Ideally from a development or infrastructure background and still able to be hands-on to provide guidance and advice when needed.
• Experienced with legacy applications, infrastructure.
• Experience of reshaping and re-platforming away from legacy systems as part of technology transformation roadmaps whilst managing technical debt and risk
• Proven examples of turning around struggling or failed projects and/or teams.
• Experience in defining, evolving and leading the implementation of strategic architecture initiatives following established enterprise and architecture frameworks such as TOGAF
• Experience of undertaking a structured analysis of technical issues and risks, and providing solutions and approaches to move forward
• Understanding of cyber security issues and security architecture related to cloud and hybrid platforms within secure and compliance driven environments
• In depth knowledge of at least two of the primary Cloud Providers (AWS, Azure, GCP) across IaaS and PaaS services
• Hands-on experience with software development and system administration including familiarity with various operating systems (e.g. Windows, Linux) and databases (e.g. RDBMS and NoSQL)
• Hands-on experience with one or more modern programming language such as Java, Python, Scala, Go, C#, etc.
• Experience of working with Agile methodologies (a mix of techniques including Scrum and Kanban, on individual projects and at scale)
• Knowledge of configuration management and Infrastructure as Code tooling
• Past experience setting up build pipelines, automated deployments, etc. with Jenkins or other CI/CD tools.
• Experience with automated testing, test-driven development and/or behaviour-driven development
• Experience architecting solutions with HTTP APIs and RESTful web services, ideally in a microservices architecture.
• Experience in proactively identifying problems and translating these into non-technical descriptions that can be widely understood
• Experience in team/project management and line management
• Enjoy working with customers and partners in our target sectors (initially Government, Healthcare, Transportation, Education etc).
• Passion for designing, building and operating excellent software solutions to meet a diverse and challenging set of business and user need
• Excellent day rates on offer
• Outside IR35
C#, .NET, Java, SQL, Azure
Outside Spy discovers all the Outside IR35 IT contract opportunities for members.